Friday, January 25, 2008

Preaching that melts...

From George Whitefield's Journal:
Tuesday, November 27, 1739 - ...I preached from a balcony to above six thousand people. God strengthened me to speak nearly two hours, with such demonstration of the Spirit, that great numbers continued weeping for a considerable time.

Tuesday, April 30, 1740 - Towards the conclusion of my discourse, God's Spirit came upon the preacher and people, so that they were melted down exceedingly.

May 14, 1749 - I believe there were near twelve thousand. I had not spoken long before I perceived numbers melting. As I proceeded, the influence increased, till, at last, thousands cried out, so that they almost drowned my voice...What tears were shed and poured forth after the Lord Jesus...After the last discourse, I was so pierced, as it were, and overpowered with the sense of God's love, that some thought...I was about to give up the ghost. How sweetly did I lie at the feet of Jesus. With what power did a sense of His all-constraining, free, and everlasting love flow in upon my soul! It almost took away my life.
What kind of preaching melts hearts today?

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

At 12:42 AM, Blogger caldanitbrad said...

Greetings from Moscow, Matt!

I have preached the last 18 months in my corps here, and find that among a people hardened against "emotional" reactions to religious expression, what people react to are stories which exemplify God's grace in action, and which urge each of us to enact holy living rather than merely comprehend it or, worse, leave its realm to priests like your evangelical priest in the adjacent entry here.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home