Monday, April 25, 2005

Someone asked...

"So - what are you doing, Matt?"

Precious little, I suspect.

But...since someone called me into public accountability for my actions (I suspect, more for my standing with Rick Warren) I will fill you in on my relatively weak work for the kingdom. I don't, by the way, think I am particularly effective in what the Lord has opened the doors for me to do. But, here is what that is:
- my family (beautiful wife, six homeschooled children) helped plant a church four years ago of which I am the pastor...

- I have been a sidewalk counselor out at one of Mississippi's abortion clinics for years. God blesses our once-a-week group with a saved life each outing on average.

- I have done prison ministry for years, and am now the chaplain out at the main detention facility in our county. Thank the Lord for weekly conversions (and frequently a bunch of them because of the excellent God-enabled evangelists in our crowd!) Also starting some discipleship follow-up.

- I am part of a regular ministry to the sick and elderly in a nursing home

- I try to take the congregation and students that are in my classes at the seminary out to these places of need while teaching them from pulpit/lectern about the vital elements of a cutting edge orthopraxis.

- I am a contributing columnist on the op-ed page of our state-wide daily and have a radio talk show that is on about fifteen stations across state.

- and I also try to do some work on the mission field (typically Africa) on a yearly basis.

To be honest, all of this amounts to a hilarious life. The Lord has brought me abundance and joy.

I was asked how I invite someone to the gospel:
Typically, I have them go nose down on the floor (prostrate) and call themselves "a dirty, rotten sinner" before we proceed to help them with a prayer of confession and reception of Christ in their hearts. Then we disciple them in the Ten Basic Steps of Campus Crusade or the 101-401 series by Rick Warren.

My biggest struggles with all this: not enough time to be both a first-rate scholar and activist but ... some writing has and will get done. God is blessing. Praise Him.

Any other questions about my life or how to minister effectively - I will try to answer best I can. Appreciate you!

7 Comments:

At 7:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

There is no need to be snide.

 
At 1:14 PM, Blogger Matt Friedeman said...

Marsha:

What joking? And, "Curious", where snide? And 3-fold - what funny?

 
At 1:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah. I think I see. I think you are saying that you lead them in humbling themselves, repenting, calling on the name of Jesus to forgive them of their sins, then you disciple them.

(But why do you have to be difficult? :)

 
At 1:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Smile. :)

 
At 9:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope you all spend as much time investing in the kingdom as you do bickering about Dr. Friedeman's methodology. How many of you are on the front lines on a daily basis? How many of you are in the prisons, at the abortion clinics, are planting churches (without pay), and teaching seminary, all while being a loving husband and a great father? The truth is, it's easier to nitpick than it is to pick up a basin and towel and get to work. Who cares what denomination he is? He's making a difference. Are you?

 
At 10:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are you standing on the front lines right now Brad? Are you nitpicking?Is your towel wet? There is a whole lot more service out there than just at the prisons,the fence at the abortion clinic,than in the pulpit.Do not assume that we don't make a difference because we defend sound doctrine.Of course it matters the denomination because some denominations believe some Jesus was the brother of Satan or you have to speak in tongues to be saved.How many have the courage to defend sound doctrine?How many the patience?How many are willing to study their Bibles and not take a best selling author's word on it?As long as he does something who cares his methology? My brother is an agnostic but a very good person.Tell me sir should I care for his methology?

 
At 10:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wonder about people who carry the front line around in their back pocket.You want to get front line then start street preaching.Those are the guys who are really out there.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home