Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Pretty important column

From Christianity Today: We Are What We Behold:
...evangelicals have wrestled with our relationship to power. When in a position of influence (and in our better moments), we leverage power to better the lives of our neighbors. Cultural savvy enables us to successfully translate the gospel for a changing world.

But it's a double-edged sword—influence and savvy can also dull the gospel's transcendence. We achieve a royal position, but soon we are using a worship service to Almighty God to hawk Justice Sunday III. We worry that the culture has forgotten the meaning of Christmas, but we cancel Sunday worship because it's Christmas. We fret because of our culture's biblical illiteracy, but sign up for the Sunday school class on our pet social-justice cause rather than the Bible or theology track. In short, we complain that the church has sold out to culture, but we subconsciously give our allegiance to a political or social subculture and champion its agenda.

3 Comments:

At 8:05 PM, Blogger Tommy Alderman said...

We "evangelicals" have lost our way because we have ceased to be "evangelical." According to the late Bill Bright of Campus Crusade for Christ, less than 2% of professing believers share their faith with any regularity.

It seems we get involved in doing everything except what our Lord commanded us to do.

The Church has one purpose here on earth - one purpose - to preach the gospel. Period. Paragraph. End of story.

 
At 9:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tommy,

Your are 100% correct. In the area where I live most, if not all, churches are "Christian Social Clubs". As an atheist I don't have a problem with that. In fact it's a relief not to have religion pushed on me from my neighbors. You guys can believe what you want to believe and I'll believe as I like. That's the American way.

I've seen enough of Benny Hinn and have read enough of the Bible to come to my own conclusions about Christianity.

 
At 3:29 PM, Blogger Tommy Alderman said...

"jbryan," -

I would be very interested to have an email discussion with you, sir (or madam - sorry). You seem very reasonable, and your comments are intriguing.

We actually have some common ground, too, mutually believing that the Church has become a "joke" in many respects - in this country at least.

I would be interested to know more of your impressions of Christianity, how you would define Christianity, stuff like that.

I promise not to spam you, and I would trust you will offer me the same assurance.

If so, you can reach me at tommy@perfectlaw.org.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks,

Tommy Alderman

 

Post a Comment

<< Home